Time Flies and Hot Air balloon Birthday Theme
When I saw this idea, I knew I wanted to re-create it. It seemed a little intimidating at first, but overall it was super easy and took about 1 hour from start to finish.
DIY Hot Air Balloon
What I used:
I found most of my items at Hobby Lobby for cheap!
A large basket
Four 48″ dowels
Medium sized foam wreath
At Home Depot, I picked up zipties
An easy search on amazon got me this hot air balloon netting, and I bought this large beach ball on amazon for about $12
I wanted to spray paint the ball pink, white, and gold but I ended up just spraying it all white and letting the colors fade out to get the pastel palette of my daughter’s party.
How to make a hot air ballon in 7 steps
Here’s the steps of how I made this hot air balloon for my daughter’s first birthday “time flies” theme.
- spray paint the beach ball.
- spray paint the netting.
- spray paint the foam wreath and the dowels
- loop the tiptoes around the dowels and through the basket. pull tight. I put two on each dowel- one low and one at the top of the basket.)
- Make holes in your wreath for the dowels. These dowels were 3/4 inch wide so we used a 3/4 inch drill bit and pushed them in. Then sealed with glue but if you’re going to take this apart or need to transport it, don’t glue them.
- Place the ball on top and cover with the netting. I wrapped the netting around the dowels but you can cut some off and leave it hanging down the center for a cute look.
- Lastly, I decorated! I found the “One” banner on amazon as well
For a final touch of this time flies birthday theme, I added polyester fill (pillow stuffing) into a 4×6 piece of burlap, stapled it closed and stapled on some lace! Normally I would have ditched the stapler and used my hot glue gun but I waited until last minute and mama had to rush!
This was a very easy project and easy DIY hot air balloon. It can be used for a halloween costume, birthday, or just a fun photoshoot prop!